* High Priority was backed from 3-1 into 6-4 favourite in the opener but could only finish 4th behind the worthy winner Jepeck, who had drifted from early 6-4 to 5-2. There will be another day for High Priority as he gains experience.
* Market leaders Glacial Oscar (5-2 into 7-4) and Raffa (solid at 3’s) came to the second last clear of their rivals in unison in the Restricted, but Glacial Oscar’s mistake dislodged Robbie Henderson, leaving Raffa clear of his 14 rivals. The pair are worthy of the notebook.
- Dual course winner Penmore Mill started a shade of odds-on for the Mixed Open, but this consistent hunter-chaser was probably short of peak fitness (connections reported he had not had his usual racecourse gallop). This good looking gelding does not get 3 miles and the Aintree Foxhunter (2m 6f) is already on his long term agenda. There was money for Brodie Hampson’s mount Gale Force Oscar (8’s to 5’s). He recovered well from a blunder at half way and was doing his best work at the finish. The winner Baresi had some smart form in Ireland and was making his British debut. Although he had won over 3 miles at Cork, his best form is short of that trip. He looks a likely candidate for sub-3 miles hunter chases.
- The prices were chalked up very late for the first 3 miles maiden. In the few minutes available Way Before Dawn was established as 5-2 favourite (from 3’s). This sturdy type will be better for the race and will be seen to better advantage over a longer trip.
- Railway Benefit sent Welsh punters home in a happy mood. Obviously too embarrassed to reveal his pedigree in the race card, he is a son of the good sire Beneficial. The faces from the principality waded in from 3’s to 6-4 and he had 10 lengths to spare at the judge.
* The Mythologist justified odds-on favouritism in great style in the Intermediate (4-5 at the off). It would be no surprise if connections tried him in a bumper. There was money for Supreme Danehill (8’s to 6’s) in the same race. This ex-Irish six-year-old is in a good yard and could be worth following.