Next weekend will see the final Point-to-Point meeting of the season take place at Chapleton Barton, Umberleigh, where the Torrington Farmers host their meeting as the curtain closer for the season. There are six races on offer with the action starting at 2pm. The Devon & Cornwall area pony racing follows the main races, with the 138cm and under, followed by the 148cm pony race.
With the leading horse title still to be decided, both Cock Of The Rock and Rosies Peacock are entered here in the Davisons Chartered Accountant-sponsored Men’s Open. Each seeking their eighth win of the season, Cock of The Rock for trainer Rachael Green under owner/rider Harry Cobden, was unable to clock up a win at Bratton last weekend. Rosies Peacock’s connections skipped last weekend and could take the title if coming out fresh here for the David Llewellyn team. Harry Cobden has another possible ride with entry Silver Token who is stable mate to Cock Of The Rock. Should Silver Token or any other runner win the race, then the title would be shared between Rosies Peacock and Cock Of The Rock.
The Confined race, sponsored by Devonshire Motors of Barnstaple, heads up the action. This could turn into a dual between Pasternak Jack for the Woollacott team, and the Roy Smith-trained Just Seven. Both horses ran last well last weekend clocking up similar times in their respective races.
Outside raider, Captain Camelot had been well fancied to take the Restricted race at the Trecoed meeting last weekend. He finished second, and could well be the favourite here in the Captain Tim Forester Memorial Restricted race. Trainer Paul Phillips entry Tandori looks a danger having run a good second at Hackwood Park.
Mikey Bowen has entered both Sir Du Bearn and Cygnet in the E.J.Snell & Sons Ltd-sponsored Ladies Open race. Both horses ran last weekend, with Sir Du Bearn winning at Trecoed under Jodie Hughes, and Cygnet running well in the Men’s Open in third. The danger looks to be Awesome George for the Mahon team, who has had time to recover from his second at Garthorpe. Tim Underwood has Carnglave Cat entered and the trainer looks to be chasing Rachael Green for the National Trainer title for yards with seven horses or less. Carnglave Cat is already on a seasons hat-trick, the latest when winning at Peper Harow in Surrey.
Alfie The Great could go well in the Intermediate race, having notched up a quick time at Garthorpe. Green Winter is another to note, having won his Restricted easily at Hereford. The surprise could be Sedgemoor Top Bid for the Tickle team, who could follow-up on his two wins at the Flete Park meetings. This race is sponsored by Claire Howarth of Barum Stud.
Finally those catching the eye in the Smallridge Bros Ltd-sponsored Open Maiden race are Princess Tina, after her second at Lydstep, and Kilcoman Wizard having clocked up seconds at Trebudannon and Cothelstone.
All on course facilities are on offer with bar, hot food, bookies and a host of trade stands, and a super party atmosphere. Entrance to the course is £10 per person, with children under 16 free. Please support the IJF bucket collection at the meeting, which is collecting for young jockey Ed Barrett who was injured at Upcott Cross in April.
The course is located on A377, 5m SE of Barnstaple – EX37 9EB.
Met Office 5 day forecast: Hiscott (2.2 miles)
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: Torrington Farmers Point-to-Point, Chapleton Barton, near Umberleigh, Saturday June 13 2015
- Report: Torrington Farmers Point-to-Point, Chapleton Barton, near Umberleigh, Saturday June 13 2015
- RESULTS: TORRINGTON FARMERS POINT-TO-POINT AND DEVON & CORNWALL PONY RACING FINALS – CHAPLETON BARTON, UMBERLEIGH – 13th JUNE 2015
- DEVON & CORNWALL AREA – JOCKEYS’ TITLES 2014/15 LATEST STANDINGS AS OF 7th JUNE 2015
- Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point entries and form, Chapleton Barton, Umberleigh, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Pony Racing Entries: Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point, Chapelton Barton, Near Umberleigh, North Devon, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Preview: Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point, Chapelton Barton, Near Umberleigh, North Devon, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Advanced going: Torrington Farmers, Chapleton Barton, Umberleigh, Saturday 13th June 2015
- The Official 2015 Point-To-Point Pony Racing Fixture List
- 2014-15 fixture list now available on www.pointtopoint.co.uk