Well that is that then. We try to stretch the season out with nearly 30 meetings from November to June in Devon & Cornwall, but high summer has its way eventually.
The good thing about Umberleigh is that you can’t see where your cash went astray. Punters (and onlookers) have to circle round and round the top of the hill to get a fleeting glimpse of the horses (a bit like wagon trains circling to defend themselves in the old cowboy films).
The three-runner opener (Confined) provided a bit of a shock, although I thought that the winner Lucys Girl looked the pick of the paddock. No, I didn’t avail myself of the 12’s and 10’s available. Just Seven (7-4 to 6-4) led until falling at the 8th and looked to have gifted the race to the odds-on favourite Robin Will (1-2 to 4-7). Robin Will became Robin Won’t as they climbed the steep hill after three out and Lucys Girl swept past under Jake Bament to win by 30 lengths.
Everything seemed to be going well for 8-13 favourite Rosies Peacock after the Welsh star went on after half way. He still led at the final ditch but by the time they had gone behind the hedge he had swopped places with Findlay’s Find. That game winner of over 20 races was not going to relinquish his lead and he battled on well to repeat last year’s success as Threapwood (5’s to 9-2) mounted a late challenge.
Florence Mary (5-2 to 7-4) got favourite backers back on track in the Ladies’ Open. The mare looked to be struggling in fourth place jumping the fences along the valley as Skating Home (11-2 out to 7’s) quickened clear. Once again the stiff climb behind the hedge sorted them out and Florence emerged out in front. Lucy Mager is a decent novice rider and she kept her mount (who relishes fast ground) going to hold the challenges of Bay to Go (easy to back at 5’s) and Tiger D’Oust (7-2)
The well backed Part and Parcel (5-4 / 6-4) unseated Alex Edwards at half way in the Intermediate which seemed to leave the door open
for marginal favourite Sedgemoor Top Bid (11-8). This time the tongue tied Kawana Cove (4-1) was the one relishing the ground and took command at the second last to deny the favourite under a fine ride from Heidi Lewis. Horses for courses again.
The concluding Open Maiden sent the bookies home laughing when the Cheshire challenger Come On Louis stayed on strongly under Ollie Greenall to score unfancied at 12-1 ( 100 to 8 when I was at school). His previous form was uninspiring to say the least, but he was galvanised by Greenall, who was having his last ride before retirement, to collar Kilcolman Wizard after the latter had been 25 lengths clear at one stage.
The secretary Gillian Underhill said the The Injured Jockeys Fund bucket collection at the meeting made £1499.54 cash, plus a £1000 gift cheque
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
The following professional and amatuer photographers were at the meeting: Tim Holt, Western Morning News (Athwenna Irons), Go Pointing, Baths Photographic (Marcus Bath), Brian Armstrong, Big Green Annual (John Beasley), David Simpson (AGA) and Roger Peaple P2P and Ponies
- Saturday 27th June 2015, Devon & Cornwall area end of season awards dinner & dance, The New Continental Hotel, Plymouth.
- Sunday 19th July 2015, ED BARRETT IJF CHARITY LUNCH, Trebudannon Racecourse
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: Torrington Farmers Point-to-Point, Chapleton Barton, near Umberleigh, Saturday June 13 2015
- Report: Torrington Farmers Point-to-Point, Chapleton Barton, near Umberleigh, Saturday June 13 2015
- RESULTS: TORRINGTON FARMERS POINT-TO-POINT AND DEVON & CORNWALL PONY RACING FINALS – CHAPLETON BARTON, UMBERLEIGH – 13th JUNE 2015
- DEVON & CORNWALL AREA – JOCKEYS’ TITLES 2014/15 LATEST STANDINGS AS OF 7th JUNE 2015
- Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point entries and form, Chapleton Barton, Umberleigh, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Pony Racing Entries: Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point, Chapelton Barton, Near Umberleigh, North Devon, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Preview: Torrington Farmers Point-To-Point, Chapelton Barton, Near Umberleigh, North Devon, Saturday 13th June 2015
- Advanced going: Torrington Farmers, Chapleton Barton, Umberleigh, Saturday 13th June 2015
- The Official 2015 Point-To-Point Pony Racing Fixture List
- 2014-15 fixture list now available on www.pointtopoint.co.uk