- Play golf with AP
- Go schooling with John Francome
- Get tickets to Badminton Horse Trials
Ed Barrett, severely injured in a point-to-point fall in April, has spoken of his gratitude to fund raisers ahead of an Injured Jockeys Fund auction at Saturday’s National Point-to-Point Awards Dinner (November 14), compered by Luke Harvey.
Barrett, 27, who was working as assistant trainer to Henry Daly when breaking his neck at a meeting in Devon, is now receiving specialist treatment at Oaksey House in Lambourn. Saturday night’s auction involves ten items that can be bought by members of the public via telephone bids.
Reflecting on the past six months, Barrett said: “When I woke up in Plymouth Hospital I couldn’t move anything – four weeks later my big toe twitched, then my little finger. Now I can manage up to 20 metres with a Zimmer frame, but my left side is worse than my right. I can’t move my left hand, but I can close my right hand and grip a fork to eat, which is good.”
Of his emotions he said: “It’s still a shock to me now. I wake up and want to move, but can’t – but I have come a long way. I’ve had help from good physios, and they say I can improve further, but I doubt it. Maybe that’s my pessimistic side, but I’ll keep working on it.
“Fund-raising for the Injured Jockeys Fund since my accident has been brilliant, especially from the West Country – it’s like a big family among point-to-point people down there.”
Saturday’s national dinner, which will see record-breaking Cornishman Will Biddick gain his fourth men’s championship crown, takes place at the Four Pillars Hotel in Gloucestershire. Anyone wishing to support Barrett by bidding on auction lots can phone 01793 781990 (answerphone with mobile number).
The items, which include a round of golf with AP McCoy and John Francome, a schooling session with Francome, Badminton tickets, gallops mornings with Philip Hobbs and Jack Barber, Cheltenham evening meeting tickets with dinner, and numerous holiday options, are listed in full on the national website – www.pointtopoint.co.uk.
Bidders can secure:
- Season admission, car pass and two tickets to Badminton Horse Trials 2016
- Four members tickets and dinner for four in the Gold Cup Restaurant (including all food but not drink) at Cheltenham’s hunters’ chase evening – April 27, 2016. Donated by Robert Waley-Cohen
- A morning on the gallops with Jack Barber followed by lunch with Jeremy Barber. Donated by Jeremy Barber
- A round of golf with John Francome and AP McCoy
- A morning on the gallops with Phillip Hobbs
- A schooling session on Mandown (Lambourn) with John Francome
- Westcott Barton – short break (3/4 nights) in a cottage near Barnstaple, sleeps 4
- The Cottage-on-the-Green – 1 week in a cottage on the village green at Blisland, Cornwall, on the edge of Bodmin Moor, sleeps 2
- Bejowan Cottage – 1 week in to be taken before May 29 at a house at Holywell Bay on the North Cornwall coast, sleeps 6
- A short break at The Sea Room at Ropehawn, sleeps 2. Donated by Chris Casey
- 2 nights B&B at the Arundell Arms Hotel, Lifton, Devon, plus a day of fishing. Donated by The Otter Club
Further information from the Point-to-Point Authority: 01793 781990