• RaceTech supports pony racing for a fourth year
• Treehouse Sporting Colours to sponsor the Novice Rider Race Series, 14 qualifying races culminating with two Championship Finals
• Dunraven Stud proud sponsors of the 2016 Point-to-Point Pony Racing Planner
Broadcast media services company RaceTech will again be supporting the grass roots of pony racing by sponsoring the Championship Rider Titles and Pony Racing Graduate awards during the 2016 point-to-point pony racing season. The season kicks off at the Cambridgeshire and Enfield Chase point-to-point at Horseheath in the East Anglian Area, on Sunday 7 February and runs through until the last fixture of the season on Saturday 12 June, the Torrington Farmers at Umberleigh in the Devon & Cornwall Area. All in all, there are seventy-nine point-to-point pony racing fixtures due to be staged. Points will be awarded for all wins and placings and winners will be presented with prizes and a training bursary at Cheltenham Racecourse in October.
In addition to the Championship titles and Graduate awards, new for 2016, RaceTech will also be sponsoring gallop sessions for young riders coming through the Pony Racing Authority’s youth training scheme during 2016.
Additional sponsorship has been confirmed in the form of Treehouse Sporting Colours which, for 2016, will be the title sponsor of the Novice Riders Race Series. Fourteen qualifying races will be held throughout the country where those finishing in the first four will qualify for the finals, to be staged by kind permission of the Meynell & South Staffordshire point-to-point at Garthorpe on 4 June.
The 2016 Point-to-Point Pony Racing Planner, in its fourth edition, has generously been sponsored by Bridgend-based Dunraven Stud. The Planner is a must-have publication for everyone wishing to take part in point-to-point pony races this season and is issued to all PRA members or available from Mrs Lucy Tucker.
Pony racing is designed to encourage children aged nine to sixteen into racing competitively, with races held across two height categories (138cms & under and 148cms & under). All point-to-point pony racing fixtures are kindly hosted by the organising committees of those Hunts / Clubs who stage point-to-point racing and run in conjunction with the sport’s governing body, the Pony Racing Authority (PRA). Since the sport became regulated in 2004, more than 150 riders have graduated onto horses both between the flags and under Rules, with many more also working within the horseracing industry.
Catherine Pullan of RaceTech said: “We’re delighted to continue our close association with pony racing for a fourth year, where young children from a variety of backgrounds have the chance to experience the thrill of riding in a race. It’s great to see teenagers coming through and making their mark in the professional ranks, and going into other areas in the racing industry too. We wish all those taking part this season the very best of luck.”
Lucy Tucker, a Director of the PRA and who oversees point-to-point pony racing, said: “The generous sponsorship provided by RaceTech, Treehouse Sporting Colours and the Brace family from Dunraven Stud means we are able to put on a superb programme of point-to-point pony racing. The PRA is widening its reach to new riders – with training programmes designed for children who have little or no experience of ponies, and are therefore creating more opportunities for them to be able to get involved and ultimately have a go.”
- RESULTS – TIVERTON STAGHOUNDS POINT-TO-POINT AT BRATTON DOWN, 5th JUNE 2016
- Update: Torrington Farmers, Umberleigh 11th June 2016
- RESULTS: SOUTH TETCOTT POINT-TO-POINT AT UPCOTT CROSS, 30th MAY 2016
- Update: South Tetcott Point-To-Point, Upcott Cross, Bank Holiday Monday 30th May 2016
- RESULTS: EXMOOR POINT-TO-POINT AT BRATTON DOWN, 22nd MAY 2016
- Preview: Modbury Point-To-Point at Flete Park, Saturday 30th April 2016
- Preview: Axe Vale Point-To-Point, Stafford Cross – Sunday 24th April 2016
- Pony Racing: Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Flete Park, Saturday 16th April 2016
- Preview: Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Flete Park, Saturday 16th April 2016
- Pony Racing: East Cornwall Pony Races Report, Great Trethew, 26th March 2016