WRITTEN BY GRANVILLE TAYLOR
JOSH Newman celebrated his 24th birthday last week and gave himself a belated birthday present when riding a double at Buckfastleigh in front of a large crowd basking in the hazy spring sunshine.
The young jockey, who rode a Cheltenham festival winner two years ago with Midnight Prayer in the National Hunt Chase, is now based at the Ali Stronge yard near Hungerford. Sea Bear and Betty’s Boy provided Sunday’s double, putting him on the nine-winner mark for the current campaign.
Sea Bear, trained at Woolminsone near Crewkerne by Chloe Newman, made all the running and jumped soundly to win the Exeter Racecourse Intermediate. The grey runs in the colours of Robert and Janet Gibbs and was followed home by the only other finisher Shanann Star.
Newman had earlier steered Betty’s Boy to victory in the first division of the Open Maiden. This sturdy seven-year-old was always travelling well and was left clear when Looking Glass fell three out. “He was too keen when he ran here last time and got a bit lonely out in front today,” reported the rider. Betty’s Boy is trained by Ed Walker for owner Ross Oliver who bred the gelding out of his mare Acting Tough, a winner in her day at the now defunct Lifton course.
Vicky Wade is also in great form at present. After partnering Tetralogy to finish runner up to Betty’s Boy, Vicky, successful in a Leicester hunter chase two days previously, won the other Maiden division on Forrardon Xmoor who battled on gamely to hold Back In June. The winner is owned and trained by Jill Baskerville at Exford who said, “I bought him as a four-year-old. He is the only horse I have in training and I hunted him every week, sometimes twice a week.
The Mixed Open also went to a small yard as Bronwyn Buttery’s Doctor Henry fought off the sustained challenge of Steeltown. 22-year-old Bronwyn was partnering her first winner and also does it all herself from her Modbury yard. “I ride out for Gordon Chambers regularly, where I also get the chance to school Henry. I often school with Millie Wonnacott, Hannah Welch and Jennifer Davenport. I also work at the local pub in Modbury, The Exeter Inn, some evenings.” 10 year old Doctor Henry, was bought at Ascot sales last June, He is by the successful stallion Dr Massini.
Doctor Henry had run well on the opening day of the season when runner up to Premier Portrait, and the latter went on to win his fifth race of the season (plus an unfortunate disqualification when the rider failed to weigh in) under his regular 17-year-old rider Gus Levinson in the Novice Riders’ race.
The Restricted produced an easy winner in the shape of In The Tub who gave Jo Buck her sixth winner of the season. Culmstock based Bloodstock agent Tom Malone owns and trains this progressive seven-year-old who is likely to be aimed at the Subaru Restricted Series Final at Stratford upon Avon in May. “I bought him from Martin Cullinane in Ireland. He has sold such as Road To Riches and Kingscliff in the past,” reflected Malone.
Beuvron had won the Hunt race on this card last year, and had little difficulty in duplicating that success with a comfortable 12 lengths success over his two rivals. It was good to see that the trio were all partnered by former pony racing jockeys with 18-year-old Hannah Welch coming out on top. Hannah is set to become a pupil assistant to trainer Clive Cox after completing her A levels at King’s College, Taunton.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 20th March 2016, Lamerton Point-To-Point, Kilworthy, nr Tavistock
- Easter Saturday, 26th March 2016, East Cornwall Point-To-Point, Great Trethew, nr Liskeard
- Easter Monday, 28th March 2016, Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, nr Newquay
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP DART VALE & HALDON POINT-TO-POINT – BUCKFASTLEIGH 13 MAR 2016
- REPORT ON THE DART VALE & HALDON HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT BUCKFASTLEIGH SUNDAY 13TH MARCH 2016
- Results: Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Point-To-Point At Buckfastleigh – 13 March 2016
- Pony Racing: Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers at Buckfastleigh on Sunday, 13th March 2016
- Preview: Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Point-to-Point, Buckfastleigh, Sunday 13 March 2016
- Entries: Dart Vale and Haldon Harriers Point-To-Point, Buckfastleigh, Sunday 13th March 2016
- Update: Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Point-to-Point, Buckfastleigh, Sunday 13 March 2016
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP – SOUTH POOL AT BUCKFASTLEIGH 21 February 2016
- REPORT ON THE SOUTH POOL HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT BUCKFASTLEIGH SUNDAY 21st FEBRUARY 2016
- RESULTS: SOUTH POOL HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT BUCKFASTLEIGH – 21 FEB 2016