“Business is poor,” a leading bookmaker confided in me as everybody shivered on Dartmoor on Sunday. At least it a most scenic setting..
So I duly volunteered to bolster the bookies earnings with a less than shrewd investment on Big Diamond (5’s to 9-2) in a tricky large field Maiden. I thought I had a fair bet since the Royal Anthem five-year-old had run creditably at Black Forest. I duly played up some of my Cheltenham profit from Youknowwhatimeanharryfry on Big Diamond. Well this diamond was certainly not sparkling and trailed in 10th out of 11 finishers. I even had to re-check the finishing order on Jeff Guyett’s video to see what a rough diamond this was.
The Conjurer (3’s to 5-2 fav) did the trick in workmanlike style with placed horses The Grey Celt and Goulane Ruby each returned at 10-1. Dream On George (10’s to 14’s) ran well on his debut until clouting the second last. The Alflora four-year-old Samuel Jackson (10’s to 8’s) was pulled up two out but is one for the note book.
Robin De Souza (solid 1-3) was the first odds-on favourite to oblige, soon followed up with Master Baker (4-6 to 4-7) in the poorly supported Mixed Open.
Cinevator (5-2 out to 4’s) jumped well for his novice rider and ran on strongly to hold Reliable Richie (7-4 to 11-8) in the Confined.
Dark Gesture (2’s to 6-4 fav0 looked the goods for the Restricted on his Black Forest form, but was never really travelling as Ottery Maiden winner Upto Ollie (4’s to 3’s) scooted home.
One of the best backed horses on the day was previous course winner Mausefalle (8’s to 3’s) in the concluding Intermediate. He never looked like coping with the progressive Winter Soldier (1-2 easing out to a tempting 4-6 fav). I don’t think I have backed at odds-on since losing my pocket money on the 1959 Derby winner Parthia at Royal Ascot that same year. I thought that a Derby winner must be a certainty for a follow up, but it wasn’t and he was beaten by Aggressor (Jimmy Lindley). An early lesson in mathematics and naivety.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
The following photographers were at the meeting: Marcus Bath and Roger Peaple.
- Easter Saturday 26th March, East Cornwall, Great Trethew, nr Liskeard
- Easter Monday 28th March, Four Burrow, Trebudannon, nr Newquay
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP – LAMERTON POINT-TO-POINT AT KILWORTHY – 20 MAR 2016
- REPORT ON THE LAMERTON POINT-TO-POINT AT KILWORTHY SUNDAY 20th MARCH 2016
- Results: Lamerton Point-To-Point at Kilworthy – 20th March 2016
- Entries: Lamerton Point-To-Point, Kilworthy, 20th March 2016
- PREVIEW OF LAMERTON POINT-TO-POINT AT KILWORTHY SUNDAY 20TH MARCH 2016
- Update: Lamerton Point-To-Point, Kilworthy, Sunday 20th March 2016