Good ground with a little good to soft around the first fence for the second Trebudannon meeting of the season.
The “most westerly course in England,” according to the official form book – and a very good point-to-point course which, unlike a lot of tracks offers excellent viewing – and I mean excellent.
It was an up and down day for the punters. A few of the good things obliged, but there were setbacks along the way.
The first two favourites were stuffed. For some reason (Biddick factor?) the newcomer Wallabrook was always odds on for the opener (4-7 / 4-5 until a brave 10-11 ruled near the off. The race lay between ex-Irish Humpback Bridge (5‘s to 4’s) and Daylami Days (5’s to 4’s) in the home straight with the Woollacott trained Humpback Bridge – a real chasing type- finishing the stronger.
The three runner Veterans Condition race turned into a farce. Delphi Mountain (5-2 into 11-10) went the wrong side of a marker approaching the third fence, followed in his hoof prints by Parkam Jack (4-6 to 4-5). Delphi Mountain was immediately pulled up, but Jamie Thomas took his mount back into the race on the favourite without retracing. He actually jumped all the other fences and “beat” his stable companion Liberty One (7-1) by a fence or so. Parkam Jack faced inevitable disqualification in the stewards’ enquiry. It was left to a 56-year-old jockey, James McNeile, to inherit the prize as the only rider to take the correct course. Trebudannon is such a good viewing course that everybody must have seen the dodgy move, and there was certainly no chance of the bookies paying out on the wrong horse.
The Mares and Fillies Maiden attracted 10 runners – why don’t more courses hold this type of race? Two newcomers Quite Right (3’s to 7-2) and Tangley (5-2 to 7-2) were sent off joint favourites. Silver Mix was next best (4’s), but the money was for First Page (16’s to 11-2) and Somethingornothing (16’s to 8’s). In the event the four-year-old Black Sam Bellamy filly Tangley was an impressive winner, making the most of her generous allowances to quicken clear approaching the last to score by 10 lengths.
The 12 bookies on parade must have felt as low as the Newcastle United manager – doomed- when three successive Jack Barber trained favourites trotted in one after the other in the next three races.
First Biddick Steered Queen’s Bay (evens to 4-7) to beat Indiana Bay (2’s to 6-4) in the Mixed Open. No chances taken though with Captain Probus (1-3 to 1-2 touched 4-7) in the Intermediate, and Biddick’s hat trick was completed with The Happy Chappy (2-5 after a little early 5-4 was snapped up) in the Restricted.
Doctor Tiger (evens touched 4-6) was expected to keep the Barber/Biddick band wagon rolling in the concluding Open Maiden, but never really flattered and Brandy and Red (16’s to 14’s) took full advantage under Darren Edwards.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
The following photographers were at the meeting: Marcus Bath and Roger Peaple
- Sunday 15th May 2016, Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor [etickets available]
- Wednesday 18th May 2016, Eggesford, Upcott X, Halwill Junction, Holsworthy
- Sunday 22nd May 2016, Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor [etickets available]
- Bank Holiday Monday 30th May 2016, South Tetcott, Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Holsworthy
- Sunday 5th June 2016, Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor [etickets available]
- Saturday 11th June 2016, Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh, Barnstaple
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON,SATURDAY 8th MAY 2016
- REPORT ON THE FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON,SATURDAY 8th MAY 2016
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, 8th MAY 2016
- Entries: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Sunday, 8th May 2016
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Saturday, 8th May 2016
- Granville’s Betting Gossip from the Four Burrow Point-To-Point at Trebudannon on Saturday 23rd April 2016
- REPORT ON THE FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON,SATURDAY 23 APRIL 2016
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, 23RD APRIL 2016
- Entries: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Saturday, 23rd April 2016
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Saturday, 23rd April 2016