WRITTEN BY GRANVILLE TAYLOR
“Water, water everywhere, and all the boards did sink,
Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink”….
From The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772 -1834
Herculean efforts by the organisers, and the welcome support of the landowners allowed this fixture to defy the recent atrocious weather. A good sized crowd enjoyed warm Dartmoor sunshine, but it was heavy going both on the track and in the car parks.
DICKY BOB won the Hunt race for the fourth successive year at Cherrybrook, but this time the locally trained grey met with no opposition in his favourite race and only had to walk over to claim the prize.
His day was not over however, and Verity Nicholls also declared her gelding for the Mixed Open, again ridden by Rex Dingle. This time he met with five opponents, but an emphatic 25 lengths success over Mic’s Delight (Jennifer Davenport) showed his well being and liking for this course. He started the race as a grey and came back a mud splattered pastel shade of brown. “I don’t have any plans for him but he could possibly go for a hunter chase,” said his delighted owner/trainer.
David Prichard landed a double thanks to Tamarstone and Ballybane.each saddled by Claire Harris who holds the pointing licence for the Kayley Woollacott yard. Tamarstone’s 26-year-old jockey David Prichard was left clear at the last fence in the four to six-year-olds Maiden, as newcomer Minimalistic (Tom Chanin) overjumped and fell when delivering a strong challenge. The winner, owned jointly by Royston Britton, John Gardener and Peter Wade, is a half brother to former prolific winning pointing mare Lucette Annie.
Ballybane retained his unbeaten record for the season, fending off course specialist It’s All Or Nothing and Heaney to win the Confined. “He will have a bit of a break now and we may aim him at the Intermediate hunter chase final at Cheltenham, said owner Melanie Dixon.
Jo Supple had to settle for second place on It’s All Or Nothing in the Confined, but had earlier steered the ex-Irish pointer Newlands Cross to a 15 lengths success over Mountain Las in the Open Maiden. This six-year-old is owned and trained by Culmstock bloodstock agent Tom Malone, who should have no trouble finding a buyer for this sturdy six-year-old by Stowaway
Dean Summersby saddled Honest Deed to follow up his recent Kilworthy success under Darren Edwards in the Intermediate at the expense of front running Prince of Poets. “I thought I had gone too early. He is a nice little horse who travelled and jumped well and would want better ground,” said the jockey, who was partnering his ninth winner of the season.
The Restricted saw jockey Josh Newman rewarded for his 114 miles dash from the meeting at Badbury Rings with a 12 lengths victory on Ed Walker’s progressive mare Wind Tor. The jockey had finished runner-up on one of his two rides at the Dorset track, but a positive ride on Wind Tor ended his afternoon on a high note. This game Midnight Legend six-year-old runs in the colours of the Ed Walker Racing Club.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Saturday 14th April 2018 Silverton, Bishops Court, Ottery St Mary EX11 1RJ, 1st Race 1.00pm
- Saturday 21st April 2018 Dartmoor, Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX, 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 28th April 2018 [Rescheduled] Four Burrow, Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP, 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 29th April 2018 Axe Vale Hunt, Stafford Cross, Seaton EX24 6HZ, 1st Race 1.30pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: SPOONERS & WEST DARTMOOR POINT-TO-POINT AT CHERRYBROOK, SUNDAY 8TH APRIL 2018
- REPORT ON THE SPOONERS & WEST DARTMOOR POINT-TO-POINT AT CHERRYBROOK, SUNDAY 8TH APRIL 2018
- RESULTS: SPOONERS & WEST DARTMOOR POINT-TO-POINT AT CHERRYBROOK – 8TH APRIL 2018
- Preview: Spooners & West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, nr Tavistock Sunday 8th April 2018
- Entries and form guide: Spooners & West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 8th April 2018
- Update: Spooners Point-To-Point at Cherrybrook on Sunday 8th April 2018
- Preview: Mid Devon Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, nr Tavistock – CANCELLED
- WIN A CAR PASS TO THE MID DEVON POINT TO POINTt
- Fixtures rich in promise for the 2017/18 British point-to-point season
- Point-To-Point fixture course changes