GRANVILLE TAYLOR and DONNA HARRIS
“Although he always valued the race more than the victory and the victory more than the prize, he would not perhaps have disdained the reward he has won- which is a kind of immortality among the English”
An extract from the obituary to Lord Mildmay of Flete in The Times newspaper. Owner of Flete Park, Lord Mildmay rode 197 winners during his career spanning the second world war, and had been five times leading amateur jockey prior to his tragic death in May 1950.
DARREN EDWARDS has an obvious liking for Flete Park. The reigning Devon & Cornwall area champion jockey already has a stranglehold on this year’s title, and repeated his treble of two weeks ago. On a warm, sunny day the hillside was packed at this picturesque South Devon track.
Ryves Rocky formed part of his three winners a fortnight ago, and stepped up to take the Restricted this time. Leslie Jefford trains this eight-year-old for a small syndicate, “He was sourced by Tim Dennis in Ireland and really wants better ground”, said the trainer’s wife Lisa.
Nicky Martin had sent out Just Another Vodka to initiate the Edwards treble in the Open Maiden. The excited trainer was particularly pleased with her home bred six-year-old and said. “My son paid only £300 for his dam at Doncaster”
Darren Edwards rounded off his good day as Honest Deed fought off The Dartmoor Fox to win the Confined. “A lovely horse who will continue pointing,” said trainer Dean Summersby. The winning syndicate had been put together at the Bratton pub, Clovelly, where one of the four syndicate members, Torben Hughs, is the landlord.
Will Biddick rode his 21st winner of the season as the previously unraced mare Gio’s Girl prevailed in a tight three-way finish to take the young horses Maiden. “This was a competitive Maiden,” commented the rider, adding, “She has shown a lot of promise at home and Ed (Walker) has done a lot because she is not straightforward.” Owners Colin and Harriet Houghton acquired Gio’s Girl as a foal at Doncaster. She may eventually go into training with Harriet’s stepson Tom George.
Welsh challenger Ramble On justified his three hours journey to win the Conditions race. “He needs a right hand track and is normally a front runner, but made hard work of it today,” said jockey Byron Moorcroft, recalling that he last rode here 14 years ago when starting out with the Jimmy Frost yard.
Le Clo De La Londe appreciated the four miles trip in the Ladies’ Open, just outstaying Beuvron after the pair had dominated the whole race Jockey Emma Watson shares ownership of the nine-year-old with John Gardener. “He doesn’t mind the ground a bit quicker. Emma rode the race to plan by dictating the pace,” said in form trainer Stuart Sampson.
Heaney landed a local success in the PPORA Conditions event. 21-year-old Millie Wonnacott rode a confident race on the ex-Irish gelding, trained by her mother Claire, who shares ownership with vet Jennifer Davenport. Claire is also the point-to-point secretary for the Flete Park meetings and said of Heaney, “He was bought from an advert in Jumping For Fun and has run in an Irish National in the past.”
Tim Holt, Athwenna Irons and Megan Cobley
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 13th May 2018 Four Burrow, Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 20th May 2018 Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 28th May 2018 South Tetcott, Upcott X, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE. 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 3rd June 2018 Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 Rescheduled Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Okehampton EX21 5AE. 1st Race 17:00
- Sunday 10th June 2018 Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 16th June 2018 Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh EX37 9EB. 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: MODBURY HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT FLETE PARK 5TH MAY 2018
- REPORT: MODBURY HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT FLETE PARK 5th MAY 2018
- RESULTS: MODBURY HARRIERS POINT-TO-POINT AT FLETE PARK 5th MAY 2018
- Entries and form guide: Modbury Point-To-Point, Flete Park, Saturday 5th May 2018
- Preview: Modbury Harriers Point-to-Point at Flete Park Saturday 5th May 2018
- Fixtures rich in promise for the 2017/18 British point-to-point season