The narrow “forecourt” of the betting ring at Flete is fraught with danger. Hemmed in between the rails and the line of bookies lie various obstacles ready to trip you over. These include picnic blankets, wine bottles, beer cans, loose children and often loose adults. I tend to view from a safe vantage point the other side of the rails.
Just Another Vodka (4-5 to 4-6 fav) was an appropriate winner of the opener. He is not one of Nicky Martin’s world beaters but she loves him because she bred him and he kicked off a good day for Darren Edwards.
Ryves Rocky was backed from 5-2 to 7-4 fav and duly followed up his recent course win in quite a decent Restricted. Predestined (10’s to 8’s) did little wrong in finishing second.
Beuvron ((2’s to 6-4 fav) had a protracted head to head with Le Clo De La Londe (4’s to 9-2) in the four miles Ladies’ race, but Le Clo stayed on the better from the second last.
Welsh challenger Ramble On (5-4 fav) presumeably got stuck in the mud last time out at Lydstep, but was dropped in class here in the Conditions race. Byron Moorcroft’s mount drew away down the hill to win easily.
That’s where the fun stopped for favourite backers. Robin De Souza (evens to 10-11) has disappointed lately after a bright start to the season and stopped quickly at the bottom of the hill. The former smart Irish chaser Heaney (drifted out to a tasty 3’s) galloped clear. Flete Park is a long way removed from Fairyhouse, where this 11-year-old once ran creditably in the Irish Grand National.
The considerable four-year-old allowance probably swayed the market in favour of Tour De Pub (2-1 fav) in the young horses maiden. Tommie O’Brien’s mount was less than fluent at his fences however and he finished in the ruck behind the five-year-old mare Gio’s Girl, who was making her debut for the Ed Walker yard. Biddick was content to bide his time on the winner, who just held off the late flourish of The Dartnmoor Rose (7’s to 9’s). Although a massive drifter out to 11-4 Meteorite caught the eye and is one for the note book.
The Dapper Fox (evens fav) likes this course but had to play second fiddle in the concluding Confined to Honest Deed (6-4) who completed another treble for in-form Darren Edwards
Tim Holt, Athwenna Irons and Megan Cobley
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 13th May 2018 Four Burrow, Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 20th May 2018 Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 28th May 2018 South Tetcott, Upcott X, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE. 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 3rd June 2018 Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 Rescheduled Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Okehampton EX21 5AE. 1st Race 17:00
- Sunday 10th June 2018 Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 16th June 2018 Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh EX37 9EB. 1st Race 2.00pm
[display-posts taxonomy=”category” tax_term=”Modbury Harriers” taxonomy_2=”category” tax_2_term=”2017-18 Season”]