The Stevenstone is always a pleasant meeting, tucked away in North Devon far from the madding crowd. You need a good map to find it – turn right at Graham Heal’s stud farm (shows how old fashioned I am – don’t know how to use a Satnav).
This year was quite competitive and the 13 bookies probably went home smiling as the last four favourites all went down the pan.
Cinevator (4-6 fav after a little evens) loves the Vauterhill track , and landed the Hunt race for the third year in succession under trainer / rider Ella Pickard. Katkolys (10’s to 8’s) kept on well without getting to the winner.
Missyladie (6-4 to evens fav ) blotted her copybook again by demolishing the wing of the third last giving Thomasina Eyston no chance when still in with a chance. Missyladie is well qualified for the naughty stool. Anyway, she got further than Ballybruff (7-4 to 2’s) who lost his rider at the third. Meldon Express (8’s to 10’s) is one for another day – Upcott Cross ? So at the business end it was Tamarstone (5’s and 9-2) who just held off Druid Spitfire (7’s – 13-2) by a neck.
I went to back Fishy Story but missed the evens and wouldn’t invest at 4-6 . I was afraid of the ultra consistent mare Whenharrymetsally (6-4) so didn’t have a bet. The race was between this pair and Fishy Story quickened up impressively to score in receipt of 3lbs.
Luckily my day wasn’t completely wasted thanks to Wolftrap (9-2 to 100-30) in the Confined. When the Point-to Point loose leaf form book says “looks capable of better” against an unplaced horse (Lamerton Confined) , it is a real wink and a nod so best to take note. Lee Drowne on Wolftrap stalked the leaders and went past Its All Or Nothing (4-5 fav) with a double handful.
It was another tale of woe for the jolly in the last two races. Bricks and Beams (5-4 fav from 5-2) looked a picture in the Intermediate, but failed to deliver again behind the impressive winner Hinxworth (5’s to 2’s), a half brother to the useful Le Rev, His trainer Ben Clarke went on to take the Exeter Intermediate Final on the next night, so probably knew the time of day with this Milan gelding, nicely ridden by Darren Andrews.
Cottage Rose (4’s to 13-8 fav) was all the rage for the getting out stakes, but fell at the first ditch. Jo Sleep’s Rumour Has It (7-4) is a big mare by Beat All and galloped on well under Darren Edwards to land the contest.
Marcus Bath, Athwenna Irons and Megan Cobley
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 13th May 2018 Four Burrow, Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 20th May 2018 Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 28th May 2018 South Tetcott, Upcott X, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE. 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 3rd June 2018 Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 Rescheduled Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Okehampton EX21 5AE. 1st Race 17:00
- Sunday 10th June 2018 Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 16th June 2018 Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh EX37 9EB. 1st Race 2.00pm
[display-posts taxonomy=”category” tax_term=”Stevenstone” taxonomy_2=”category” tax_2_term=”2017-18 Season”]