WRITTEN BY GRANVILLE TAYLOR
“Long stormy spring-time, wet contentious April, winter chilling the lap of very May; but at length the season of summer does come”
Thomas Carlyle 1795-1881
The Four Burrow staged the last of the Cornish point-to-points for this season on a pleasant, sunny afternoon at their excellent viewing course at Trebudannon.
There was drama in the four-runner Mixed Open when odds-on favourite The Two Amigos (Darren Edwards), bidding for his sixth success of the season for trainer Nicky Martin, ran out at an early fence. This left Golden Hoof and Will Biddick to make the remainder of the running, with only Beat The Tide in pursuit after Silver Commander had lost his jockey at half way.
Jade Barber trains the winner for a syndicate near Crewkerne, Somerset. Jade had given birth to a daughter just 10 days ago, so husband Jack was on duty here. “That was a good performance and he jumped really well. He has been off the course for 14 months since cutting his near hind at the Blackmore Vale last year which got infected,” reported Jack, who took out a full training licence last year after his successful pointing career.
Truro born Will Biddick is still chasing current leader Alex Edwards in his quest for a seventh successive National jockeys’ title, but had to settle for just one winner during the afternoon. His Mixed Open mount The Wealerdealer failed to cope with solitary rival Master Baker. Jo Supple was on the useful Master Baker, and made her effort at the penultimate fence. She had the race in safe keeping as Biddick’s mount blundered at the last. The winner, trained at Payhembury near Honiton by Lisa Jefford for owner Janet McCullough, is likely to be aimed at the prestigious John Corbet Cup hunter chase at Stratford next month.
It was a day of contrasting fortunes for Darren Edwards. The leading Devon & Cornwall area rider completed a double on Honest Deed and Mole Trap after his unfortunate experience with The Two Amigos, but suffered another reverse when Raloo Rocket fell at the last whilst disputing the lead in the Restricted. Earthly Reason went on to take this race with David Prichard in the saddle, following up his course win a fortnight ago. The improving six-year-old looks to have a bright future.
Dean Summersby sent out Honest Deed to take the Confined, saying, “He is as good as anything in the yard.” The nine-year-old is heading for Upcott Cross next where he will be looking for his fifth win of the season.
Mole Trap was a very easy winner of the Open Maiden for the Darren Edwards / Nicky Martin combination. This game little home bred Kayf Tara mare runs in the colours of The Bradley Partnership, but trainer and joint owner Nicky Martin missed Sunday’s action since she was at home convalescing from illness.
Speronimo justified odds-on support when making all the running under Kieren Buckley in the Open Maiden for young horses. At the judge Nigel Hawke’s six-year-old had three lengths to spare over Arctic Sword
20-year-old Christopher Barber had ridden Arctic Sword, and went one better in the Maiden for mares and fillies as Miss Butterfly held on well to see off the late challenge of Sapphire Noire. Stuart Sampson was saddling his 10th winner of the season, and paid tribute to his young jockey who had sourced the six-year-old Yeats mare from former riding colleague Martin Cooney in Ireland.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 20th May 2018 Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 28th May 2018 South Tetcott, Upcott X, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE. 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 3rd June 2018 Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 Rescheduled Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Okehampton EX21 5AE. 1st Race 17:00
- Sunday 10th June 2018 Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 16th June 2018 Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh EX37 9EB. 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- REPORT: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- Entries and form guide: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Sunday 13th May 2018
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-to-Point at Trebudannon Sunday 13th May 2018
- REPORT & RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON , 28th APRIL 2018
- Entries and form guide: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Saturday 28th April 2018
- Preview: Rescheduled Four Burrow Point-to-Point, Trebudannon, St Columb Major, Saturday 28th April 2018
- Postponed: Four Burrow, Trebudannon, East Monday
- Fixtures rich in promise for the 2017/18 British point-to-point season