The biggest shock of the day came in the Mixed Open when the warm favourite The Two Amigos (4-5 fav but on the drift ), bidding for his sixth successive win of the season, said adios to his three rivals when cocking his jaw and ducking out at an early fence. I cannot remember him doing this before.
The eventual winner Golden Hoof had been nicely backed from 3’s in a place to as short as 5-4, and jumped immaculately to take the prize to Somerset under the champion jockey’s assured guidance. He had been off the course since sustaining a nasty cut which got infected at Charlton Horethorne 14 months ago, but looked ultra fit here for the Barber team.
Nicky Martin would have got back into her sick bed at home after hearing about her Two Amigos, but would have perked up when the news about the win of Mole Trap (evens to 6-4) reached her. It was my turn to be sick now because I spent all the previous night working out that Mole Trap would win, and then chickened out from backing her. I was afraid of the eventual jolly, Pancrace, who started evens fav after early odds-on offers. Needless to say Pancrace, who looked a picture in the paddock, bombed out after several early jumping errors. You know the feeling.
Trebudannon is a lovely course to lose money. The Cornish air is invigorating, you get a perfect view of the racing, and Sunday was all blue skies. However, two warm favourites provided some loose cash to buy the pasties. Master Baker (4-5 to 4-7) outpointed The Wealerdealer (4-5 to 11-10) in the Conditions, and Earthly Reason (4-6 to 4-5) followed up his recent course win after Raloo Rocket (5’s to 4’s) crashed out at the last.
Both the geldings and the mares Maidens took around five minutes for the two and a half miles, which might not be a sound guide to future races over the standard distance. Speronimo (2-5 to 1-2) blazed a trail under Kieren Buckley in the first of these to underline his Stafford Cross run, but in a livelier colts and geldings market, the favourite An Bhean Clic (3’s to 2’s) proved disappointing. The gamble of this race was the six-year-old mare Miss Butterfly, seen at 12’s early but forced into 3-1 at the off. Christopher Barber soon had this speedy mare out in front and repelled all challengers with a game effort. Sapphire Noire (6’s to 13-2), from the same yard as Speronimo, got the closest and was running on well at the finish.
Honest Deed (4-5 fav) kept up his winning streak with a workmanlike performance in the Confined under Darren Edwards, who has the area jockeys award in safe keeping. Locally owned Awesome Tunes (5-4 / 11-10) put up a brave performance to give his owner Ross Oliver a birthday winner, but had no answer as the winner came at him in the straight.
Westcountry Videos filmed the meeting, order on 01884 840403 or through the website later in the week at www.westcountryvideos.co.uk
- Sunday 20th May 2018 Dulverton West, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 28th May 2018 South Tetcott, Upcott X, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE. 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 3rd June 2018 Exmoor, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 Rescheduled Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction, Okehampton EX21 5AE. 1st Race 17:00
- Sunday 10th June 2018 Tiverton Staghounds, Bratton Down, Bratton Fleming, Exmoor EX31 4SG. 1st Race 2.00pm
- Saturday 16th June 2018 Torrington Farmers, Chapelton Barton, Umberleigh EX37 9EB. 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- REPORT: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON, SUNDAY 13th MAY 2018
- Entries and form guide: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Sunday 13th May 2018
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-to-Point at Trebudannon Sunday 13th May 2018
- REPORT & RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON , 28th APRIL 2018
- Entries and form guide: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Saturday 28th April 2018
- Preview: Rescheduled Four Burrow Point-to-Point, Trebudannon, St Columb Major, Saturday 28th April 2018
- Postponed: Four Burrow, Trebudannon, East Monday
- Fixtures rich in promise for the 2017/18 British point-to-point season