GRANVILLE TAYLOR & DONNA HARRIS
“Not long ago, one midwinter day, the sky was bright blue, not dull winter grey”
Daniel Turner, English poet, 1710 – 1798
THE highlights of some excellent racing at this popular Cornish track was another win for Navanman, doubles for trainers Jill Dennis and Dean Summersby, plus a double for jockey Jake Bament.
Two races divided on the day resulted in an eight-race card on good going, with the sizeable crowd relishing the bright blue sky and welcome warm weather.
Navanman (8 lbs penalty) and Honest Deed ( 4 lbs penalty) clashed for the third time this season in the Mixed Open. This time Navanman just got the better of his old adversary after a spirited battle from the top of the hill. “I crept up steadily round the top bend and he responded well all the way down the hill,” said winning jockey Bryan Carver. These are two of the best pointers in the area,
Honest Deed’s trainer Dean Summersby went on to land a double thanks to previous course winners Chosen Lucky and Clondaw Bunny. Chosen Lucky retained his unbeaten record for this season for the Little Acres Racing Club in the PPORA Novice Riders’ contest, partnered for the first time by Nathan Vergne. The rider, born at Poitiers in France is based with Philip Hobbs, and was riding his third pointing winner. Felicitations monsieur.
The Summersby yard is in great form at present and regular jockey Darren Edwards landed the Restricted on board Clondaw Bunny. “Darren does a great job and happily commutes up and down from Leicestershire for us virtually every week. This horse was very backward last year but I love him to bits,” said the successful trainer.
Trainer Jill Dennis introduced a useful newcomer as Famous Response, with Jake Bament in the saddle, quickened down the hill to peg back front running Dr Kananga (Danny Burton) in the Open Maiden for four to six-year-olds. “It took him a circuit to get warmed up and I only needed hands and heels at the finish,” enthused the rider. Five-year-old Famous Response is by the late lamented Coolmore stallion Fame and Glory. ”Famous Response was bought at Tattersalls as a yearling and has needed time,” said the Bude based trainer.
The same trainer and rider had initiated their double with another newcomer, Misstree Song, in one of the divisions of the JRL Group flat race. This five-year-old mare showed plenty of speed to get the better of Exhibit A inside the final furlong. Misstree Song is owned by her breeders Sarah and Nigel Faulks. “I trained her dam who won point-to-points for us, and also her grandam,” said Sarah Faulks.
The other section of the flat race also went to a previously unraced mare, this time Ed Walker’s Rosie Present, by Presenting, who was sent clear down the hill by jockey Josh Newman. “We bought her from Robert Chugg, but she cut her leg in the field last year. She has been hunter trialled and will probably go over jumps now but she is for sale,” explained Polly Walker.
The other race split on the day was the Open Maiden for seven-year-olds and over. Skinflint made all to win the first division, trained by Gerry Supple for owner John Gent and ridden by Jo Supple. “He was looking for company and will probably be better left handed,” said the jockey who was riding her seventh winner of the season.
A patient ride from Darren Andrews saw Kaiden Michael pounce at the second last to beat Cornflower Blue in the other division. This was a good ride by the 25-year-old jockey whose mount jumped markedly left at the last two fences. The winner is owned by Garth Whisker, who bought the Westerner gelding privately out of Tim Vaughan’s yard.
- Sunday 3rd March 2019 East Devon Bishops Court, Ottery St. Mary EX11 1RJ 1st Race 12 noon Sec Tel No: 07870 737209
- Sunday 10th March 2019 Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Charlton Horethorne, Sherborne, DT9 4LJ 1st Race 12.30pm Sec Tel No: 01963 370260
- Saturday 16th March 2019 Quantock Staghounds Cothelstone, Taunton, TA4 3DT 1st Race 12.30pm Sec Tel No: 01278 732944
- Sunday 17th March 2019 Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Buckfastleigh Racecourse. TQ11 0LT 1st Race 1.00pm Sec Tel No: 01548 531490
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP FROM THE EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, SUNDAY 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- REPORT ON THE EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, SUNDAY 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- RESULTS: EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- Entries: East Cornwall Point-To-Point, Great Trethew, 24th February 2019
- PPA: Procedures to be carried out at point-to-points in respect to Equine Influenza Precautions (21st Feb update)
- Preview: East Cornwall Point-to-Point, Great Trethew Sunday 24 February 2019
- PtPRC Online Entry System IT Issues