It turned out to be a long afternoon at Great Trethew thanks to two divided races and a lengthy delay for an injured jockey.
The weather was more akin to Umberleigh in June. The bookies were rubbing their hands at the prospects of lots of one pound each way ice cream punters. At least the prices were chalked up in good time – something the Barbury Castle books could learn from.
We are getting used to point to point flat races now. Tight betting in each of the two divisions as lots of un-raced horses made their debuts. The favourite Tango Charlie (6-4/13-8) actually fell in the first flat race (slipped up just after half way), leaving the mare Misstree Song (7-2) to fend off Exhibit A (6-1) and Mini Long Stocking (6-1.)
In the second division the Presenting mare Rosie Present (5-2fav) looked a nice type and quickened down the hill to beat Reflex Action (4’s to 3’s) and Western Whiskey (drifted to 13-2.)
The first jump race (Open Maiden four to six-year-olds) revealed a nice prospect in Famous Response (a little 5’s into 4’s) Despite signs of greenness the five-year-old stormed home as the gambled on runner-up Dr Kananga (3’s into 9-4 fav) kept jumping and hanging to the left. Jo Supple’s mount Attacotti (5’s to 7-2) was a creditable third. This trio can all be followed.
The older horses Maiden produced yet another division. The jolly old favourites obliged in each section. It didn’t take a genius to plump for Skinflint (evens into 4-6 fav) in the first section. His neck defeat by Tide Times (now in training with Ian Williams) in the opening race of the season at Buckfastleigh, drew very favourable comments in the Weatherbys loose leaf form book and we have had to be patient to cash in.
Kaiden Michael (4-6 fav) needed a bit more detective work since his form last season did not stand out. He was given a very patient ride by Darren Andrews and held Cornflower Blue (7-1) despite hanging and jumping left. A change of stables (to Stuart Sampson) and a good third to the smart Crown of Thorns at Chipley provided a much better script.
Navanman (8lbs penalty) drifted from 4-6 to 11-8 before just getting the better of Honest Deed (4 lbs penalty) (6-4 to evens fav) in a good class Mixed Open. This was their third clash of the season with the score now standing 2-1 in Navanman’s favour. They are two genuine performers, but will need careful placing for the remainder of the season to avoid the penalty structure. There are races to be won by third placed O’Maonlai (8-1) together with Minim Mouse (14-1) who showed seasonal promise.
Chosen Lucky (4-7 to 4-6 fav) is becoming a punters money box and notched his seasonal hat trick when ridden for the first time by Nathan Vergne in the Novice Riders’. Course winner Syracuse’s Dream (14-1) ran his best race for some time to finish a gallant second.
The Dean Summersby yard struck again with Clondaw Bunny (6-4 to a juicy 5-2) in the Restricted. My King (6-1) finished strongly, but Predestined (3’s to 2-1 fav) proved disappointing.
A good afternoon’s punting with enough funds to pay for the Tamar Bridge on the way home (the cost of crossing it, not buying it)
- Sunday 3rd March 2019 East Devon Bishops Court, Ottery St. Mary EX11 1RJ 1st Race 12 noon Sec Tel No: 07870 737209
- Sunday 10th March 2019 Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Charlton Horethorne, Sherborne, DT9 4LJ 1st Race 12.30pm Sec Tel No: 01963 370260
- Saturday 16th March 2019 Quantock Staghounds Cothelstone, Taunton, TA4 3DT 1st Race 12.30pm Sec Tel No: 01278 732944
- Sunday 17th March 2019 Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Buckfastleigh Racecourse. TQ11 0LT 1st Race 1.00pm Sec Tel No: 01548 531490
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP FROM THE EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, SUNDAY 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- REPORT ON THE EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, SUNDAY 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- RESULTS: EAST CORNWALL POINT-TO-POINT AT GREAT TRETHEW, 24TH FEBRUARY 2019
- Entries: East Cornwall Point-To-Point, Great Trethew, 24th February 2019
- PPA: Procedures to be carried out at point-to-points in respect to Equine Influenza Precautions (21st Feb update)
- Preview: East Cornwall Point-to-Point, Great Trethew Sunday 24 February 2019
- PtPRC Online Entry System IT Issues