GRANVILLE TAYLOR & DONNA HARRIS
THE two leading Devon & Cornwall area jockeys in recent years, Darren Edwards and Will Biddick each landed doubles at Cherrybrook. Will Biddick carried off the local Area title last season, with the 2017 title holder Darren Edwards having to settle for runner up. It could be all change again this season with Edwards setting a strong pace pursued by his old rival as we reach the final few weeks of the season.
Kernel Victor gained reward for his consistency in the Conditions race as Biddick sent his mount for home round the final bend to beat Every Breakin Wave by 10 lengths. The winner’s trainer Ed Walker shares ownership with John Pearn. “He travelled better in headgear” (first time blinkers) reported the successful jockey, who went on to complete his double when Sixteen Letters, trained by Neil McLean, gave him his 20th winner of the season in the Exeter Racecourse Intermediate. “He was unlucky last time at Kilworthy and Will gave him a good patient ride today. I would like to think we could go to either the Exeter or Cheltenham Intermediate finals. He prefers top of the ground.” said John Symes of this useful looking seven-year-old he owns in conjunction with his wife Floss.
It was an afternoon of contrasting fortunes for Darren Edwards which included two winners, a runner up and a fall. His first and last race double was initiated when the Dean Summersby trained Clondaw Bunny walked over for the Hunt race. The Lifton trainer later went on to saddle the improving Soul Kaliber to take the Restricted for The Little Acres Racing Club. “He is a nice big hprse with plenty of scope” said the trainer of the gelding bought out of Gordon Elliott’s yard. He formerly raced in the GIgginstown colours famously worn by Grand National winner Tiger Roll.
The mare Whenharrymetsally needs little introduction to local pointing followers and duly landed her 15th career victory in the Mixed Open. Matt Hampton eased his mount to the front at the third last and had the luxury of peeping round long before reaching the judge. “She is so game and a joy to ride,” exclaimed the jockey.
The Midnight Legend mare River Myth is still climbing the pointing ladder and added the Confined to her burgeoning CV in the hands of Darren Andrews. Trained by Stuart Sampson for joint owners Terry Hamlin and John Gardener, River Myth made all the running to give her jockey his sixth winner of the season.
The Open Maiden was run in two divisions and attracted double figure runners in each division. The Jill Dennis owned and trained mare Neetside ran on strongly to take the first section under Jake Bament, who commented. “She was always travelling and jumping well and is a nice mare,” Bought as[G1] a yearling by the Dennis family, this half sister to Tide Times (a winner for the same connections on the opening day of the season at Buckfastleigh) could next be seen in Restricted class at Flete Park.
Tom Chanin brought The Roestone from well off the pace to catch Hurlstone Point jumping the last in the other section. Tomb Storme may have been unlucky here, unseating Josh Cameron when leading at the penultimate, but The Roestone was flying at the finish and had five lengths in hand at the post. “He gallops and stays well and has been given plenty of time since winning his flat race at Great Trethew,” said Robert Chanin, who trains the Vinnie Roe five-year-old for Andrew and Sue Knox.
- Sunday 14th April 2019 Seavington Littlewindsor, Beaminster, DT8 3QU 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Saturday 20th April 2019 Dartmoor Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Saturday 20th April 2019 South and West Wilts Larkhill, Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 8QT 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Monday 22nd April 2019 Four Burrow Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Monday 22nd April 2019 Taunton Vale Kingston St Mary, Taunton, TA2 8AS 1st Race 1.30pm
- Saturday 27th April 2019 Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 28th April 2019 Axe Vale Stafford Cross, Seaton EX24 6HZ 1st Race 1.30pm
- Saturday 4th May 2019 Modbury Harriers & Totnes Bridgetown Co. Ltd Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 5th May 2019 Devon and Somerset Staghounds Holnicote, Minehead, TA24 8TE 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Cattistock Littlewindsor, Beaminster, DT8 3QU 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Stevenstone Vauterhill, High Bickington EX37 9BT 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Report: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Results: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Entries: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Preview: Spooners & West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, near Tavistock Sunday 7th April 2019