Favourite backers found themselves on the back foot in the early races at Cherrybrook where the 13 layers offered a strong market.
After the opener, which produced a walk over for the second successive year, the first three jolly old favourites were all beaten.
Only two horses were seriously backed in the first Maiden, these were Attacotti (2’s to 11-10 fav) and Neetside (5-4 out to 6-4). They went 6-1 bar these two. Neetside possessed plenty of experience under rules and had run well behind Isla’s Dream in a mares race at Buckfastleigh. She won comfortably in the end from Banco De Logos (5’s out to 6’s). Her market rival Attacotti came down three out when looking held.
Thewinnertakeitall (4-5 fav) was never much more than evens in the other Maiden division, but landed steeply and fell at the last ditch. Tomb Storme led from the first and was still travelling well when unseating Josh Cameron at the second last. The well backed Hurlstone Point (12’s to 13-2) then inherited the lead, but The Roestone (7’s out to 9’s) was staying on well from off the pace under Tom Chanin and took control on the run in.
The open ditch was proving a stumbling block for favourites, and Saffron Wells (7-4 to 5-4 fav) lost his rider there in the next. This let in Kernel Victor (9-2 to 3’s) and Biddick’s mount went on to dominate his rivals in the Conditions race from the cross fence. Every Breakin Wave (evens to 7-4) was chasing shadows from a long way out.
Punters hit back in the next three events, In the Mixed Open, that reliable yardstick Whenharrymetsally wavered between 5-4 and 6-4 to settle at my SP of 11-8 fav). She won easily in the end with Matt Hampton peeping round, followed at a respectable distance by The Last But One (2’s touched 5-2). Only these two finished with Minella Fifty (3’s to 2’s) pulled up three out after fading quickly.
I had missed backing the Midnight Legend mare River Myth when she had opened her account for the season at Milborne, and I was even more stupid when letting her go here. Punters got stuck in at 4-5 and she contracted to 4-7 fav at the off. She never looked like being caught under in form jockey Darren Andrews.
Sixteen Letters (evens to 4-5 fav) is on the upgrade and justified market support in the Exeter Intermediate qualifier. He is the improving type to look out for if sent to run in the final at Haldon. Ballyvodock drifted to 5’s but ran well under his penalty to be runner up.
The Restricted produced a good finish which saw the rangy Soul Kaliber (3’s out to 6’s) holding off Kaiden Michael (12-1) with Minimalistic (1-2 fav) a rather disappointing third. This looked a decent race for its class and it will be interesting to see how the form stands up.
- Sunday 14th April 2019 Seavington Littlewindsor, Beaminster, DT8 3QU 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Saturday 20th April 2019 Dartmoor Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Saturday 20th April 2019 South and West Wilts Larkhill, Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 8QT 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Monday 22nd April 2019 Four Burrow Trebudannon, St.Columb Major TR9 4LP 1st Race 2.00pm
- Easter Monday 22nd April 2019 Taunton Vale Kingston St Mary, Taunton, TA2 8AS 1st Race 1.30pm
- Saturday 27th April 2019 Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 28th April 2019 Axe Vale Stafford Cross, Seaton EX24 6HZ 1st Race 1.30pm
- Saturday 4th May 2019 Modbury Harriers & Totnes Bridgetown Co. Ltd Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 5th May 2019 Devon and Somerset Staghounds Holnicote, Minehead, TA24 8TE 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Cattistock Littlewindsor, Beaminster, DT8 3QU 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Stevenstone Vauterhill, High Bickington EX37 9BT 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Report: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Results: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Entries: Spooner’s and West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, Sunday 7th April 2019
- Preview: Spooners & West Dartmoor Point-To-Point, Cherrybrook, near Tavistock Sunday 7th April 2019