Written by GRANVILLE TAYLOR
“The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray.”
Lord Byron 1788-1824
Fast ground reduced the field sizes for the traditional Cornish Easter Monday fixture at Trebudannon.
The afternoon belonged to jockey Darren Andrews who rode his first treble thanks to Ruggiero, Robin Why Not and Crosbie Garstin, the trio saddled by three different trainers, and all three given positive front running rides by the 26-year-old jockey.
Ruggiero, stabled with Stuart Sampson, was always bossing his sole rival Markmyword in the young horses Maiden. “We bought him for £4,000 at Ascot last July out of Emma Lavelle’s yard. He was a bit disappointing first time for us at Milborne where he fought his rider but settled better today,” said owner Russell Wescott.
Joe Tickle sent out his fifth winner of the season when the good looking Robin Why Not won the Restricted. Once again Darren Andrews was intent on making the running and he was able to shake off his nearest pursuer Rumour Has It in the home straight
Crosbie Garstin clocked up the Andrews treble in the Open Maiden, jumping with assurance out in front to beat Fireweld by five lengths. Now owned by Kerry Ede, the nine-year-old had not seen a racecourse since running at this corresponding meeting three years ago. “He was bred in Cornwall by Tim Le Grice and has had niggling little problems and has spent some time eventing over the years. He is much stronger now.” explained St Agnes based trainer Alexander Ede.
Despite starting odds-on favourite, Top Chief failed to secure a four-timer for Darren Andrews in the Men’s Open which was blessed with the grandiose title of the Cornish National. This time it was Darren Edwards who sailed away in front on Kapricorne, who had 15 lengths to spare over Top Chief on reaching the judge. Rebecca Branton trains the 12-year-old winner for her father Denis at Exford.
Darren Edwards was not winning out of turn as he had graced the runner up spot in the first three races. Soul Kaliber was just outpointed by Awesome Tunes in the opening Hunt race. This sturdy nine-year-old was taking that prize for the third successive year, putting his owner Ross Oliver’s name on the trophy for the 14th times since 2004.
After his second on Markmyword, further frustration lay in wait for the leading area rider when Clondaw Bunny could not cope with Earthly Reason in the Exeter Racecourse Intermediate. A winner on this track twice last year, Earthly Reason had been below form on the soft ground so far this season, but as trainer Neil McLean explained, “He prefers this ground and has tons of speed.”
The seven-runner Ladies’ Open proved to be the race of the day. In a blanket finish Purple ‘N Gold got up by a head to beat front running Cinevator, with Its All or Nothing another head away in third, after this trio had battled it out together all the way from the final fence. The winner was sent out by Leslie Jefford for the Here Come The Girls Partnership. A hardened and successful campaigner under rules for David Pipe, the 10-year-old joined Leslie Jefford’s Payhembury yard earlier this season. “We were waiting for drier ground and need to keep him happy and keep concentrating. He probably needs a quick track.” related the trainer.
- Saturday 27th April 2019 Eggesford Upcott Cross, Halwill Junction EX21 5AE 1st Race 1.00pm
- Sunday 28th April 2019 Axe Vale Stafford Cross, Seaton EX24 6HZ 1st Race 1.30pm
- Saturday 4th May 2019 Modbury Harriers & Totnes Bridgetown Co. Ltd Flete Park, Ermington, Ivybridge PL21 9NX 1st Race 2.00pm
- Sunday 5th May 2019 Devon and Somerset Staghounds Holnicote, Minehead, TA24 8TE 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Cattistock Littlewindsor, Beaminster, DT8 3QU 1st Race 2.00pm
- Monday 6th May 2019 Stevenstone Vauterhill, High Bickington EX37 9BT 1st Race 2.00pm
- GRANVILLE’S BETTING GOSSIP – FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON SUNDAY 12TH MAY 2019
- REPORT: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON 12TH MAY 2019
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW POINT-TO-POINT AT TREBUDANNON 12TH MAY 2019
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-to-Point at Trebudannon, Sunday 12th May 2019
- REPORT- FOUR BURROW AT TREBUDANNON EASTER MONDAY 22 APRIL 2019
- RESULTS: FOUR BURROW AT TEBUDANNON EASTER MONDAY 22 APRIL 2019
- Entries: Four Burrow Point-To-Point, Trebudannon, Easter Monday 22nd April 2019
- Preview: Four Burrow Point-to-Point at Trebudannon, Easter Monday 22nd April 2019