The South Pool Point to Point is POSTPONED. The course is in very good condition but with the worry of high winds and also the car parking we have regretfully made this decision, hopefully will fix a new date A.S.A.P
Written by: Donna Harris
The South Pool Hunt stage their meeting at the historic Buckfastleigh course this coming Sunday February 16th. The Toad Hall Cottages-sponsored Pony races head up the action at 11am, followed by the main race card at 12 noon. Six races on offer which have attracted over 100 entries.
The popular £1000 winners only Mixed Open race, sponsored by Totnes & Bridgetown Co, is the feature of the day. Last years winner Master Baker, for trainer Les Jefford, could be out again to defend his title under jockey Jo Supple, but there are many challengers entered. These include multiple point winner Navanman for the John Heard team who will be fresh from his win at Chipley Park, along with recent Cocklebarrow winner Sausalito Sunrise, who is an ex Philip Hobbs recruit who briefly went to Olly Murphys yard and now in training with Alexandra Dunn. Silsol is another Chipley Park winner and is an ex Paul Nicholls inmate who holds strong claims for young jockey Ella Orttewell. Don Bersy, Three Faces West and Dicky Bob are also among the entries which is a potential thriller not to be missed
The Tattersalls Cheltenham Open Maiden race for 4&5 year olds starts the main race card off, and entry Revels Hill, for trainer Chris Barber, catches the eye having had the benefit of a run at Milborne St Andrew earlier this month, he could improve for his outing where he travelled well until unseating his rider. Debutants Don’t Rightly Know (Ed Walker), Opening Bid (Stuart Sampson) and the Sophie Lacey-trained Piano Stairs will be worth following if the market suggests.
Exeter Racecourse sponsor the Intermediate race which has attracted the biggest entry of 26. Five Gold Bars for trainer/jockey Rob Hawker won well here at the last meeting and looks to set the standard if progressing. Journey Juice for the Ed Walker and Will Biddick combination should also be there about having run a decent race here last time, when six-lengths second to Showmetheway in January. Banco de Logos should be among the finishers if following up on his three-length second at Chipley Park for trainer Dean Summersby and jockey Darren Edwards.
In the Hassall Law-sponsored Open Maiden race for geldings aged 6 years and over Party Tunes could be another to score for team Summersby following on from their second here last month, also Young O’Leary for trainer Ian Prichard, is another for the short list also having clocked up a second here at the last meeting in the divided maiden which was run at a faster pace.
The Jockey Club sponsor the mares Open Maiden in which Cottage Rose (John Heard) ran third at Chipley under Fergus Gillard and must be respected. Don’t Rightly Know could figure here if trainer Ed Walker chooses this race over the earlier maiden, and Oyster Pearl is another to catch the eye for the Joe Tickle team who has a good strike rate with maiden horses.
Finally up is the Moorland Timber-sponsored Restricted race in which Gio’s Girl has run two promising seconds including at this track when finishing a length behind Five Gold Bars. Le Tueur’s recent win at Chipley Park under Martyn McIntyre for trainer Chris Barber must be respected, also Wadebridge winner Nicklesonthedime under Josh Newman, and Nobodydoesitbetter’s under Darren Edwards third here in January are two others for the short list.
The course offers a fabulous day out in the country with great viewing, beer tent, hot food, bookies and a host of trade stands. Entrance to the course is £10 per person with under 16’s free. Location is at Dean Prior alongside A38 Postcode TQ11 0LT.
Met Office 5 day forecast: Buckfastleigh, 1 mile from TQ11 OLT
- FEB 15 Rescheduled Western Point-To-Point, Royal Cornwall Showground, nr Wadebridge
- FEB 16 South Pool Harriers Point-To-Point, Buckfastleigh Racecourse
- FEB 23 East Cornwall Point-To-Point, Great Trethew, nr Liskeard
- MAR 1 East Devon Point-To-Point, Bishops Court, nr Ottery St Mary
- MAR 15 Dart Vale & Haldon Harriers Point-To-Point, Buckfastleigh Racecourse
- MAR 22 Lamerton Point-To-Point, Kilworthy, nr Tavistock
- Buckfastleigh Postponed
- POSTPONED Entries: South Pool Harriers Point-To-Point at Buckfastleigh on Sunday 16th February 2020
- POSTPONED Preview: South Pool Harriers Point to Point at Buckfastleigh, Sunday 16th February 2020
- Granville’s Betting Gossip: Modbury Harriers Point-To-Point at Buckfastleigh on Sunday 19th January 2020
- Report: Modbury Harriers Point-To-Point at Buckfastleigh on Sunday 19th January 2020
- Results: Modbury Harriers Point-To-Point at Buckfastleigh on Sunday 19th January 2020
- Entries: Modbury Harriers Point-To-Point at Buckfastleigh on Sunday 19th January 2020
- Preview: Modbury Harriers Point to Point at Buckfastleigh on 19 January 2020